Friday 1 February 2013

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho (1993)

1 star

I bought this on a recommendation by one of my previous teachers, I should've known better than to trust someone who was blacklisted from Korea.

I was really disappointed by this book considering how much everyone always talks about it, I can see the appeal, it's a philosophical book that basically tells you to follow your dreams and not to be scared of failing or to settle for something that is only adequate. However I found that the storyline didn't have much happening and even the interesting parts were written very dry and it ended up taking me a week to read a 150 page book. My favourite character was probably Fatima, I wasn't particularly engaged or invested in any characters, but I liked how Fatima didn't beg Santiago to stay but instead just told him she would still be here once he finished his journey, it was also a nice change for a character to not tell Santiago what to do, which all the others pretty much were the whole book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes philosophy and enjoys books with a journey or quest.


Santiago has a reccurring dream about finding treasure at the pyramids and a gypsy woman gives him the advice that the treasure is real. He then meets an old king who tells him that he shouls follow his personal legend, which most people don't do in life. Santiago eventually makes it to the pyramids where he learns gthat the treasure was back where he started all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment