Wednesday 13 February 2013

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd (2002)

3.5 stars

This is the last book that Mac bought me for my birthday this year and probably had the most interesting concept of the three, although it was kind of slow in places it was still enjoyable.

This book reminded me a little bit of The Help as it is set in the same kind of time period and racism is a major theme in the novel, however I found that the characters in this book were not quite as loveable as those in The Help and I didn't really love them like I do in most books. The books does get slow and drag on a bit sometimes, especially around the middle of the novel I found it very hard to want to read because it got so bogged down with the beekeeping details. My favourite character in this novel was Zach, he had strong morals and big dreams, and I liked how Lily's love for him wasn't a big deal. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes period dramas, books that overcome racism, or anyone who likes a quirky drama.


Lily Owens thinks she shot her mother when she was four. She is now fourteen and the only person who loves her is her housekeeper and nanny Rosaleen. When Rosaleen goes to register to vote, white men attack her and throw her in jail, Lily manages to break her out and runs away to Tiburion with her, a place that her mother wrote on the back of a honey label Lily keeps. Once there they stay with three African American sisters who make honey. After a month Lily asks them about her mother, it turns out August was her housekeeper when she was a child and when she was trying to take Lily away she was trying to bring her there. T. Ray, Lily's father, comes looking for her and she convinces him to let her stay with August but when she asks him whether she really did kill her mother he said that she did, it was an accident, but she did shoot her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment