Monday 16 March 2015

The Mime Order - Samantha Shannon (2015)

3.5 stars

I bought this book as soon as I saw it because I was interested to see where the story could go after the last one, and I was pretty happy with it.

I think this book was on par with the last book but I found the first half kind of hard to get through, I was enjoying it when I was reading it, but when I wasn't I didn't have any desire to keep reading. It's similar to the last book in that it takes a while to remember what all the words and slang of that world mean, but once you're in it it's a bit weird when you're back in reality. I feel like this book was kind of unneccessarily long, a lot of the first half was really long and explanatory and when I reflect on the book I can't remember anything significant happening in the first half. My favourite character was once again Warden, I find his part of the story so much more interesting and unpredictable than anything that Paige is doing, and his history of the rephaite and ranthen was probably the most interesting part of the book apart from the final battle. I would recommend this series to people who like high fantasy series like Eragon.


Paige is back in London and although she doesn't want to she must go back into Jaxon's gang as he can protect her. She wants to expose the rephaite and government's corruption to the entire syndicate, but Jaxon won't let her. Soon the Underlord is murdered and his mollisher disappears so Jaxon applies for the position, and Paige considers fighting for the position herself but she doesn't have the money. She is approached by Errai and Pleione, two rephaite that were helping them in Sheol I and they tell her that if she finds Warden then they would consider an alliance to help bring down Nashira and the other rephaite. Paige uses a substance that Warden left her to find where he was captured - in the Rag and Bone Man's territory wherer she must go to and break him out of. Once she does that Warden gets her an alliance with the ranthen and she has their bankroll so she can go for Underqueen. She manages to defeat everyone in the battle for Underqueen, including Jaxon by taking control of his dreamscape and making him concede instead of killing him. In the process she learns that most of them were working for the Rag and Bone Man, including the temporary Underqueen herself, The Abbess, and they were all, including the old Underlord Hector, selling voyants to the government. She tells the syndicate this and is dubbed the Black Moth, Nashira however gets the government to hold some of the other Sheol I survivors hostage and broadcast them on TV to try to get her to turn herself in. She goes into a guard's dreamscape and uses him to go to talk to Nashira, but before anything can be decided Nashira brings out her new ally, Jaxon.

No comments:

Post a Comment