Tuesday 14 February 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (1954)

I read this today because it is my assigned text for my speculative fiction class in english and although it is said to be a classic in its genre I wasn't too impressed.

I don't know if it's because I read a lot of dystopian fiction, because it was a predictable plot or a combination of the two, but I found that the storyline was predictable and similar to other dystopian books I've read. If I had to pick a favourite character, it would be Faber, although I didn't love him like I usually love my favourite characters, there just wasn't really a stand out character in this novel. I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone these days when there are books like Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Uglies by Scott Westerfeld which are written in a more modern and readable style with a similar plotline.


Guy Montag is a fireman and it's his job to burn books. At the start of the novel he meets his new neighbour Clarisse McClellan who introduces him to new and creative ways of acting and thinking that have been forgotten over the years. Clarisse is then hit by a car and it prompts Montag to steal a book from one of the libraries he burns. It turns out that Montag has accumulated approximately 20 books over the years that he wants to read, however his boss Captain Beatty comes to his house and threatens him about having taken one today. Montag then decides to go talk to Faber, a man who approached him in the park many years ago offering a book of poetry, they quickly make a plan to plant books in all the firemen's houses so there will be no-one to burn the books anymore. However Montag's wife tips off the firemen about all his books and Captain Beatty makes him burn his own house down, after he does this, Montag kills Beatty with the flamethrower and runs away to Faber's. Faber tells him to leave the city and follow the railway tracks to find a walking society that will accept him which he does. The next day, with Montag safe with his new society and Faber in the countryside, the city is bombed and completely wiped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment