Sunday 4 August 2013

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan (2006)

4 stars

I bought this book because I liked the first book and knew that this one is becoming a movie this year. I don't know whether I would've read it without the movie because the first book didn't really leave me wanting more, but I am so glad I did.

I liked this book more than the first one because I think it had a better quest. It was probably partly because I studied The Odyssey in english last year because I liked knowing the myths behind all the events and monsters in this quest. I also think because these books are just a lot of action and fighting different monsters, because this book was shorter than the last I enjoyed it more because I didn't have to read as many fight scenes. My favourite character in this book, hands down, was Tyson, it may be because I am partial to both giants and outcasts but he was just so loveable I couldn't help it. I thought he brought a much needed sensitive view on things considering the rest of the characters are all either conceited or brave, and his little speech at the end about being sent a brother made me tear up a little.


This book starts on Percy's last day of school before going back to Camp Half-Blood for the summer where he has made a new friend, Tyson, who is 2 metres tall and pretty simple. When monsters attack him in gym class, Tyson is helping him when Annabeth shows up and takes them both to camp where monsters can now freely enter because Thalia's tree is dying. They learn Chiron was fired as the Gods suspect it was him who poisoned the tree and the new activities director Tantalus takes an instant dislike to Annabeth and Percy. When they suggest to him that they go on a quest to find the golden fleece, which can heal any living thing, he dedcides Clarisse should go on this quest. Percy and Annabeth want to go because it's on Polyphemus' island where he has Grover captured so when Percy is contemplating whether they should just go anyway Hermes appears to him and gives him some useful items and tells him that he should go. Percy, Annabeth and Tyson end up going and getting the fleece and Grover with the help of Clarisse when they save her from Polyphemus as well. After they capture the fleece, Percy sends Clarisse to the airport so she can take the fleece back as soon as possible and then Luke takes Percy, Grover, Annabeth and Tyson capture as he wants the fleece to heal Kronos. Percy tricks Luke into admitting that he poisoned the tree and got them to steal the fleece as part of his plan to help Kronos rise to power in front of Dionysus and the rest of the campers through an Iris message. Chiron then comes to rescue them from Luke's ship and they return to camp together as Chiron's name is now cleared. After a few nights Percy is woken in the middle of the night to find that them getting the fleece to heal the tree was all in Kronos' plan as Thalia, daughter of Zeus, is alive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment