Wednesday, 10 October 2012

A Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin (1996)

4 stars

I read this for numerous reasons. It's becoming really popular - so I feel I have to at least try it, Clare said it was good, I wanted to watch the TV show without spoilers and my boyfriend raves about it. It won the 1997 Locus Award for best fantasy novel and the 2003 Ignotus Award for best foreign novel. It was also nominated for the 1997 World Fantasy Award and the 1997 Nebula Award. It also became a New York Times bestseller in January 2011, and reached #1 by July. So basically, it was considered good in smaller circles at the time of publication, but it took 15 years to reach mainstream popularity (no doubt assisted by its popular TV adaptation.)

I was reluctant to read this. It is massive, and each book in the series only gets bigger. And if I liked it, I'd be seriously involved in a series that would take me literal months to read. But it's worth it. It took me a little while to get into it - there's just so many characters. Thankfully I managed to find a useful little app that lets me look up just about everything. The day I finished, I went out and bought the next in the series. I'm so excited to find out what happens to all the characters! A great read - I'd recommend it to anyone (keeping in mind there's adult content).

Thanks again ClareBear for the summary! That would have been fun to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment