Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Delirium - Lauren Oliver (2011)

2.5 stars

I bought this book online, because I bought it for a friend and I really wanted to read it (also it had a really cool cover). To be honest, it was a bit of a disappointment, and the ending was downright depressing. It reminded me a lot of Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien and the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It seemed to present nothing new to the YA dystopian genre. It had an oppressive society that tries to run your life, and it had an area outside that society who were free from restrictions - just like the two aforementioned novels.

It does have a cool concept - love is a disease that they cure so people can function. I really liked that part. The author does into a lot of depth on the hows and whys and the history of this particular society. All in all, a good read, but not particularly original.

I also found another blogger who wrote about this book - it was especially interesting that she compared it to Birthmarked like I did and compared it to Matched like Clare did. hmmm....
On a sidenote, I managed to find a cute little poem someone wrote inspired by this novel.



ClareBear has already done a summary!

No comments:

Post a Comment